Date(s) - Friday 04/30/2021
“Echoes from Lock One” is an evocative call for environmental and water justice from the eyes and voices of youth in Troy, NY.
Register here to personally screen this video and listen to a Q&A podcast with co-creators: https://tinyurl.com/nteff2021.
During the Sanctuary’s “Uptown Summer” program, media makers, artists and scientists worked with teens in camera, audio production, script writing, music production, dance, historical research as well as scientific testing, to create this experimental, participatory documentary with a message for change:
“We live along the shores of the Hudson River at the beginning of the Erie Canal, Lock One, the birthplace of the American Industrial Revolution. The history of the Erie Canal and the devastating effects of industrialization are mostly unknown… even to the people of Troy, who live right next to it. Our river and our neighborhood have been poisoned by a legacy of pollution. This is our call to action. For justice and for our future. No more waiting!”
- Environmental Film Festival of the Capital
- North Dakota Environmental Film Festival
- Kansas City Environmental Film Festival
— Co-created by Youth Media Sanctuary/Uptown Summer Youth and Mentors with Branda Miller in collaboration with The Sanctuary for Independent Media.
The Sanctuary for Independent Media is a place for community-engaged interdisciplinary experimentation, with the overarching goal of shedding light on the intersectional role of media, science and art in the process of building a democratic society. Uptown Summer is a media arts and environmental education summer employment program for economically disadvantaged urban youth to share homegrown stories of hope and justice.
— This event is part of the North Troy Environmental Justice Film Festival, which features the following events and films in recognition of Earth Day:
- April 21 Local Media/ Local Voices: the Struggle for Clean Air in the Hudson Mohawk Region [films and panel]
- April 25 “Arica: a Toxic Waste Scandal” with “Our Soil” [fiom and panel]
- April 30 “Echoes from Lock One” with filmmakers Q&A in collaboration with North Dakota Environmental Film Festival [film and Q&A podcast]
- May 5 Witness to the Future: 25th Anniversary Screening [film]