20 hours/week $17/hour ($340/week)
We are The Sanctuary for Independent Media in North Troy, NY. Our mission is to use art and participatory action to promote social and environmental justice and freedom of creative expression.
Since 2005 we have been building an arts and environmental education campus in North Central Troy, NY. We operate indoor and outdoor presenting and production facilities (The Sanctuary for Independent Media and Freedom Square), a radio station (WOOC 105.3 FM), community gardens (Collard City Growers), a STEAM environmental learning center (NATURE Lab), internships and youth programs (Uptown Summer and Youth Media Sanctuary). www.mediasanctuary.org
About the Hudson Mohawk Magazine Multimedia Producer
Provide strategic support for production, post-production and distribution of the daily Hudson Mohawk Magazine while bottom-lining weekday afternoon/evening staff presence at The Sanctuary for Independent Media (when it re-opens post-pandemic). Maintain and develop consistent quality of HMM programming.
Organize and assist daily radio broadcast production of the Hudson Mohawk Magazine, post-production, distribution to social media, and promotion. Facilitate evening use of The Sanctuary for Independent Media. Support and maintain good relationships with volunteers. Help provide an enriching educational experience for interns.
20 hours per week, Monday-Friday 4:00-8:00 PM
$17/hour ($340/week) with paid time off. Low cost housing available directly on the block.
- Computer literacy
- Timely and effective communication
- Excellent problem solver
- A passion for social and environmental justice
- Familiarity with contemporary political issues
- Familiarity with social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, SoundCloud)
- Ability to relate to and build positive relationships with a wide variety of people
- Journalism experience
- Audio recording/engineering experience
- Teaching experience
- Familiarity with local political issues
- Engineer the Hudson Mohawk Magazine live (6-7pm weekdays)
- Timely communication via email, Slack, telephone between volunteers, interns, staff, board, and radio guests. Provide tech support when needed.
- Facilitate the HMM production meeting (Mondays 7:07-8:00)
- Coordinate with volunteers and interns to complete HMM calendar and scripts
- Train new volunteers and interns in HMM best practices
- Finalize HMM calendar daily. Anticipate needs and find content when needed.
- Finalize scripts daily
- Engineer interviews, including live interviews
- Audio post-production of HMM. Correct mistakes. Upload show to SoundCloud.
- Ensure automation for broadcast is set
- Produce station ID’s and promos
- Develop WOOC programming. Produce interviews based on public interest.
- Communicate any editorial issues to staff in a timely manner
- Coordinate with social media interns to post HMM segments to podcast feed, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Bottom-line this if there is no intern. Develop HMM’s social media presence.
- Answer studio phone and take messages
The Hudson Mohawk Magazine has attracted national attention. You’ll learn a lot about what motivates us in “More Power to Low-Power FM” published by Harvard University’s Nieman Reports. And “How an LPFM Produces an Hour of Hyper-Local News Every Weekday” by the folks at the Radio Survivor podcast really goes into depth! Some of the details have changed since we started, but the spirit remains the same.
Please email your resume, a cover letter detailing the reasons why you are an excellent fit with a response to our key three questions (see below), and three references who can speak to your abilities, to: [email protected]
Please address the following:
- “How did you first become involved in social justice work?”
- “How does our mission ‘to use art and participatory action to promote social and environmental justice and freedom of creative expression’ resonate with you?”
- “What experience do you have working with diverse groups of people?”
Please submit your application as soon as possible; candidate review will begin immediately upon receipt. Position open until filled. First application review date is December 1, 2020.
EOE/AA DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
We encourage applicants who have a passion for, and experience in social and environmental justice. We encourage applicants who are Black, Brown, Indigenous, Immigrant, Disabled, Poor/Working Class, Gender Non-Conforming, Women and Femmes. If this is you, know that your contributions and leadership are especially valuable at Media Alliance.
Media Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, height, weight, veteran status, marital status, political affiliation or national origin.