Hiring at the Sanctuary is currently on pause due to the pandemic.
February 16, 2020
Volunteer Organizer/Outreach Coordinator Full time
$44,460 plus benefits
We are The Sanctuary for Independent Media in North Troy, NY. Our mission is to use art and participatory action to promote social and environmental justice and freedom of creative expression.
Since 2005 we have been building an arts and environmental education campus in North Central Troy, NY. We operate indoor and outdoor presenting and production facilities (The Sanctuary for Independent Media and Freedom Square), a radio station (WOOC 105.3 FM), community gardens (Collard City Growers), a STEAM environmental learning center (NATURE Lab), internships and youth programs (Uptown Summer and Youth Media Sanctuary). www.mediasanctuary.org
About the Volunteer Organizer/Outreach Coordinator
The Volunteer Organizer/Outreach Coordinator is responsible for all volunteer management, building a strong foundation for expanded productivity and involvement. This includes volunteers and interns participating in basic daily activities and in a wide variety of initiatives:
- Events and workshops
- WOOC radio
- NATURE Lab
- Uptown Summer / Youth Media Sanctuary
- Collard City Growers
- Friends of Freedom Square
- Sanctuary TV
- Kitchen Sanctuary
The Volunteer Organizer/Outreach Coordinator must be familiar with each initiative, and able to work with volunteers in each of these areas, encouraging volunteers to deepen their on-going commitments to the organization as a whole.
The Volunteer Organizer/Outreach Coordinator is one of three paid staff positions. Along with the other paid staff, the person in this position will work closely with a hands-on board, numerous interns, and volunteers. The successful candidate will be a self-starter able to produce high level work with limited oversight, prepared to create new processes and navigate new organizational territory.
This is a dynamic and organic environment–a magnet for passionate, creative and talented people each working in their own way to make the world a better place. The Volunteer Organizer/Outreach Coordinator should be someone who can adjust to evolving needs, able to pivot as they arise, and must be able to relate to and build positive relationships with a wide variety of people, including those of diverse races, income levels, ages, religions, ethnicities, belief systems, gender identities and more.
- Passion for working toward social justice
- Support for our mission and an understanding of grassroots nonprofits in general
- Ability to communicate with and relate to a wide range of people
- Be dependable and punctual with excellent follow-through, without the need for oversight
- Strong organizational, time-management, and administrative skills
- Be a self-directed problem solver
- Excellent communication skills (written, verbal and nonverbal)
- Computer skills including social media platforms, Microsoft Office suite, Slack, Google Apps (especially Docs and Calendar). WordPress and Salesforce proficiency is a plus.
- Collaboration and team building skills, including maintaining a “safer space” for all
- Volunteer Organizer / Outreach Coordinator must be a people-person and a behind-the-scenes organizer ensuring things get done
- Experience in mediation or conflict resolution preferred
- Training or teaching experience preferred
- Experience working with volunteers in a grassroots community organization
Position Functions, Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct volunteer needs assessment in coordination with other staff and key volunteers in each of the initiative areas
- Develop entry level roles for volunteers within all initiatives
- Develop / maintain descriptions for all roles for volunteers and interns
- Recruit volunteers and interns
- Conduct regular volunteer orientation sessions
- Develop training materials and schedule
- Conduct trainings / recruit volunteer trainers
- Schedule volunteers and interns to fill the needs of the Sanctuary
- Evaluate volunteers, give critical feedback as necessary
- Represent the interest of volunteers and interns within the Sanctuary, be point person for information
- Collect and respond to feedback from volunteers, interns, and community partners
- Promote volunteer recognition within the Sanctuary; create and schedule volunteer appreciation opportunities and events
- Maintain the volunteer database (we use Salesforce)
- Develop partnerships with aligned community organizations
- Lead staff at tabling and community events
- Support organization of events, workshops and public presentations
- Coordinate all aspects of community outreach
- Supervise social media presence
- Responsible for staffing and coordinating open hours (M-F 1-8pm), as well as events and workshops
- Works together closely with staff and Board
Please email your resume, a cover letter detailing the reasons why you are an excellent fit with a response to our key three questions (see below), and three references who can speak to your abilities, to: [email protected]
Please address the following:
- “How did you first become involved in social justice work?”
- “How does our mission ‘to use art and participatory action to promote social and environmental justice and freedom of creative expression’ resonate with you?”
- “What experience do you have working with diverse groups of people?”
Please submit your application as soon as possible; candidate review will begin immediately upon receipt. Position open until filled. First application review date is March 9, 2020.
EOE/AA DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
We encourage applicants who have a passion for, and experience in social and environmental justice. We encourage applicants who are Black, Brown, Indigenous, Immigrant, Disabled, Poor/Working Class, Gender Non-Conforming, Women and Femmes. If this is you, know that your contributions and leadership are especially valuable at Media Alliance.
Media Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, ethnicity, national origin, immigration status, sexual orientation, religion, HIV serostatus, disability, height, weight, veteran status, marital status, political affiliation or national origin.