If you aren’t already a Sanctuary Sustainer, can you take a moment today to join the growing community movement to help the Sanctuary achieve financial independence?
Together, we commit to visions for a sustainable future!
- Freedom Square Sustainer: Help bring the Sanctuary’s arts and cultural activities into the streets by supporting our outdoor music, food and community resource events!
- NATURE Lab Sustainer: Help us build the new Urban Environmental Education Center with a community science lab and continue to build the free after-school STEM programming we do!
- Radio Sustainer: Support local news with Hudson Mohawk Magazine and independent grassroots radio across the Capital District via the Hudson Mohawk Radio Network on WOOC 105.3FM, WOOS 98.9, WOOA 106.9 and WOOG 92.7
- Uptown Summer & Youth Empowerment Sustainer: Help share tools and resources with local young people, building pride, critical thinking, capacity, and resumes!
- Collard City Growers: Support this food justice project where we connect arts and culture to growing a wealth of annuals and perennials including vegetables, medicinal herbs, natural dye plants, grains, and fruit trees.
- Kitchen Sanctuary: Help us draw the connections between healthy whole foods and delicious multi-cultural meals, fueling volunteers and neighbors.
- Planting a Seed Sustainer: make a suggestion!
- Memorial Sustainer: Celebrating Claudia Israel; plus propose honoring a loved one with a Memorial Sustainer fund.
Please sign up for a monthly contribution of any amount!
It’s a new year, but it’s the same story! At the Sanctuary, we have been remarkably successful securing grant funding for specific projects. Support for our day to day operations, and to match grants, is much harder to come by. We rely on the generosity of you, our community, for that foundational support.
At this moment, we have two new grants for which we need your help to match are really exciting!
- Spirit of the Suffragettes is an eight-week public event series celebrating the history of these radical historical activists through an updated and more racially/economically inclusive lens. This summer we’re bringing all-star female and gender non-conforming musicians (predominantly women of color) to our outdoor venue Freedom Square, along with a resource fair highlighting the organizations that support women and families in our neighborhood every day. This is something we’ve wanted to do since we transformed a vacant lot into the Freedom Square art stage and food forest back in 2013. We can’t wait!
- Chill Sanctuary brings climate control to The Sanctuary for Independent Media! Somehow we’ve made it through nearly 14 summers in our beautiful re-purposed church–but with windows too fragile to open and no air conditioning, it’s been tough. The our growing youth program, Uptown Summer, really demands a healthier environment. So, over the next two years we’ll restore the stained glass windows in our main presenting space and add air conditioning to make our century-old headquarters healthier and more usable as summers continue to grow hotter. The window repairs will save energy and increase comfort year round.
It’s all so tantalizingly close! These matching grants are designed to encourage private support. So now we need to hear from you!
It’s marvelous that there’s funding available for these vital projects–and we are so grateful to have been selected for this support. Your support will help match the grant funding and bring Spirit of the Suffragettes and Chill Sanctuary to life.
The Sanctuary has been working hard to expand programming and increase our impact. In just one year we’ve helped develop three new progressive radio stations, we’ve planted the seeds for an environmental education center (with a DIY biology lab!) on our block, we’ve started hosting weekly after-school science workshops, and this summer we will be exponentially expanding our community events in Freedom Square!
There’s no magic formula here. It’s people power that makes all this possible. Your skills, your artistic talent, your expertise, your elbow grease, your food contributions, your event attendance, and yes, your vital dollars fuel all of the Sanctuary’s diverse programming. We couldn’t do this without you and who would want to?
Thank you for all that you do to keep this dynamic platform for community empowerment growing!
Please consider formalizing your support by becoming a Sanctuary Sustainer right this moment: